If you think that pineapple is that exotic fruit typical of the summer period that only serves to quench and refresh your thirst then it means that you do not know its innumerable properties at all.
But don't worry: this article will take you into the world of colorful fruit with a sugary taste that has several benefits in store for you to improve your health and even your line.
Don't believe it? Then read on and you will discover: pineapple properties, benefits for the body, nutritional values and calories. And for you also some curiosities to learn more about the history of pineapple and use it in the kitchen even in delicious recipes.
Pineapple, properties and calories
There are many false myths related to pineapple. There are those who think it is a typically summer fruit and there are those who consider it a caloric fruit because it releases a very sweet flavor on the palate.
But it's time to dispel these rumors that don't do justice to a fruit that deserves much more popularity, not only for its taste, but also for its healthy effects that even medicine and homeopathy have long since learned to appreciate.
Yes, because there are so many pineapple properties and they all represent a real panacea for the well-being of the person in all its aspects.
But let's start with the calories: is it therefore true that it is a very caloric food?
Absolutely not! Indeed, its nutritional values say something else:
- Water 86.40g
- Carbohydrates 10 g
- Soluble sugars 10 g
- Protein 0.50g
- Fat 0
- Cholesterol 0
- Total fiber 1 g
- Sodium 2 mg
- Potassium 250 mg
- Iron 0.50 mg
- Calcium 17 mg
- Phosphorus 8 mg
- Vitamin B1 0.05 mg
- Vitamin B2 0.01 mg
- Vitamin B3 0.20 mg
- Vitamin C 17mg
As you can see, almost 90% is mostly made up of water, while the rest of its nutrients are divided into fibers and mineral salts. With only 40 calories in 100 grams of pineapple we can say that it is also suitable for slimming diets or diets that keep caloric intake under control.
And after this revelation, are you ready to discover its benefits? So here are the properties of pineapple that you absolutely must know.
Pineapple extract properties: what benefits does it bring to the body?
The most important ingredient that makes pineapple so special is bromelain, an enzymatic compound that allows the splitting of proteins and allows the fruit to carry out an anti-inflammatory action and other very important functions for the physical well-being of each of us.
Pineapple properties: purifying, detoxifying, diuretic, slimming and anti-aging. In short, it is worth dwelling on its benefits to understand the positive effects that a slice of pineapple can have on your health.
Pineapple properties for the body
Here are the best known and most appreciated properties in medicine:
- Purifies the body from waste. Thanks to the quantity of water it contains, pineapple allows the body to expel toxins and facilitate diuresis.
- It has an anti-inflammatory action. Can a fruit help us against seasonal ailments? Well, pineapple does it in a completely natural way, fighting and preventing both cough and the common cold thanks to its anti-inflammatory power.
- Improves digestive processes. This time the credit goes to the fibers, which facilitate digestion and counteract any possible constipation phenomenon.
- It's good for skin and nails. The power of the vitamins and antioxidants that pineapple releases in our body allows the skin to protect itself against external factors that tend to age it, such as smog or the sun. Furthermore, it also seems to be excellent for strengthening nails, especially the more fragile ones that tend to break.
- Anti-aging. Slows down the formation of wrinkles, stimulating cell regeneration and the formation of collagen.
- Protects bones and muscles. It hinders bone aging and protects both joints and muscles from inflammation. Furthermore, the latter are more toned and this is the reason why pineapple is highly appreciated by sportsmen.
- Strengthens teeth and vision. Teeth, gums and eyes are much stronger after regular consumption of pineapple. Thanks to the antioxidant properties and beta-carotene.
- Reduces hypertension. Potassium and sodium are essential for those who experience disorders related to blood pressure values that are too high. Pineapple is the ideal fruit to keep them under control and eat healthy.
And then, research has shown that pineapple's properties don't end there! It also helps improve fertility, prevent asthma, decrease the risk of heart disease, and even fight cancer.
Its slimming properties deserve a separate discussion. Let's find out why right away!
Pineapple slimming properties
If you search Google for "pineapple diet properties" you will discover that it is a fruit that is a friend of your physical shape. In fact, its nutritional components are excellent for losing weight, since it is rich in water, mineral salts and fibre.
And then we must not underestimate the role of bromelain, the enemy of cellulite, as it allows to relieve this skin imperfection by carrying out a draining action and favoring the reabsorption of localized swelling, thus hindering the much hated water retention.
Since it is a low-calorie fruit, capable of eliminating excess liquids and deflating it, it is perfect for low-calorie and slimming diets. Did you know that there are even pineapple-based diets? But to deepen this type of path it is always better to ask your nutritionist who will evaluate if it is right for you.
Pineapple-based curiosities and recipes
Raise your hand if you know the history of pineapple!
Perhaps not everyone knows that Christopher Columbus is responsible for spreading the fruit around the world. Following his expedition to South America, he discovered the exotic fruit and, conquered by its colorful appearance and sweet taste, he decided to take it with him and make it known everywhere.
Since then it has become the protagonist of banquets, tropical drinks and delicious recipes to prepare for every occasion.
Thanks to its particular appearance, it lends itself perfectly to culinary choreographies of a certain effect that aesthetically set up every table and make it sumptuous and elegant.
What can you make with pineapple slices? Diet or not, you can use it as a basic ingredient for your desserts, but also for fruit salads, light desserts and even for savory recipes, such as baked or grilled pineapple.
Pineapple, with beneficial nutritional properties and a taste that conquers even the most demanding palates, is promoted as the fruit of summer, but you can find it all year round in your trusted greengrocer so you won't be forced to give it up even in other seasons.
In summary: it's good, it's good for the body and also for the figure! What are you waiting for to snack on pineapple?